06 November 2010

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life fer me!

Arrgh, ye landlubbers! Yer int'rsted in th' jolly roger, eh? Well, shiver me timbers! Yer in th' right place!

Okay, now that I've gotten the "pirate speak" out of the way, I can promise you it will never happen again! This blog is the product of two very different assignments: first, I had the pleasure of participating in a small research project on the historical accuracy of pirate flags with the associate director and curator of Pilgrim Hall Museum in Plymouth, Massachusetts. Truth be told, I had a teeny part in the actual research; my main focus was on illustrating the figures and symbols we discovered in the primary sources from the inaccuracy you see sold in stores today. Second, this blog was created for a class assignment: Museums & New Media at Tufts University, as part of the Museum Studies program. But, I love pirates, and loved the work I did at Pilgrim Hall, so it was only natural I should focus my blog on such a fun subject.

Future blog posts will examine pirate life and culture as an introduction to the reality, the first pirate flags, then focus on specific pirates and their flags: Black Bart Roberts, Blackbeard, Ned Lowe, with a brief introductory paragraph about them, in case you, the reader, are not familiar with them. Expect all you would of pirates, from one particular motto of "Drinking, Dicing, and Whoring" to the myths behind each character (did you know Black Bart Roberts was a teetotaler? That's right, he never sipped a spirit!).

And in the spirit of full disclosure, I will share a little secret with you: the one pirate flag I own is historically inaccurate. Shocking, I know!

No comments:

Post a Comment